Since I updated to Windows 7, I’ve noticed a strange bug with my aging, workhorse Intuos 2 tablet (I know, I should update to Intuos 4 – or at least 3). The bug causes the Windows mouse pointers to change from the normal-sized Aero cursor theme to the Large or Extra Large theme. Small bug, but very annoying!
Here’s the Quick Fix
If you’re experiencing the same problem as me, the fix is to disable the menu strip at the top of the tablet’s work area.
- Open the Wacom Tablet Properties application from your start menu (or from the Control Panel).
- Select Functions from the Tool panel.
- Select Tablet Menu from the tabbed interface.
- For each of the 18 Tablet Menu Buttons, choose Disabled as the function.
- Enjoy using your tablet without the strange mouse cursor bug.
What about Intuos 3 and Intuos 4?
Other tablets in the Intuos line are apparently affected by this bug as well. Some in the Wacom forums have suggested that tablet buttons, touch strips and the new touch ring may cause the bug to appear as well. The updated driver released a few days ago may help solve the issue, but may not. I didn’t dig any further after fixing my own problem.
If you are affected and can’t find a fix, to change your mouse cursor back to the normal size, open the Mouse settings dialog from the Control Panel (simply called Mouse), select the Pointers tab and click the OK button to reset to your normal cursor theme.
Are there other solutions out there?
If any of you have any other solutions to the issue, or notice that the updated driver fixes the issue, add a comment to let everyone know.